Monday, September 20, 2010

and so it begins

Well my first real disappointment in the professional world came today. I'm not heartbroken, but it just made the reality of my career a little clearer. I had two auditions this weekend for two shows I would have loved to be a part of. The first I was called back for, the second I was not. I haven't heard from the second show yet, but not being called back generally isn't a good sign. The callback for the other show went really well (in my opinion), but I got an email today saying they had to decided to go another way with casting. Not the end of the world by any means, but it's always disappointing when you get your hopes up.

Because I did so well in my last few years of college and in La Crosse, I'm not used to not getting cast in some capacity. It sounds arrogant, but it's true. But it was a much smaller talent pool, with people who were closer to me. I got lucky that my first audition here brought me my first professional gig. It's a big city here, and there are people who've done/learned/know so much more than me. So what do I need to do? STEP IT UP.

Not getting cast just made me confront how hard I'm going to have to work to find continuous employment in the theatre.  I can do it, I know I can. And in the meantime, I will continue to sell ridiculously priced sweaters to middle-aged women. I seem to be excelling in that area.

No comments: